The Faber-Castell brand logo is known and recognized all over the world: two jousting knights in dark green.
But where did this emblem come from? Until 1898, the company was owned by the Faber family and was known as A.W. Faber. Then Ottilie von Faber, the heir to the business, married Count Alexander zu Castell-Rüdenhausen. But her grandfather Lothar von Faber had stipulated in his will that the name Faber should remain in the company for all time. And so, they changed their surname to Faber-Castell.
In 1905 Count Alexander brought out a new range of top-quality pencils, which he called Castell. To distinguish them from his competitors, Count Alexander chose his regimental colour for the paint coating: green.
Over the years, the Castell pencils became a classic. Count Alexander also commissioned a painting of two “knights of the pencil”, an advertising motif that decorated the boxes and cases for decades.
Later it was considered rather old-fashioned and was dropped. But in the early 1990s, when the present Count was creating a new corporate image for the company, the knights were reinstated as a symbol of the Faber-Castell brand. In stylized form, they are now an essential part of the company logo.